The program will be a combination of online eClass learning, synchronous online lectures, and an in-person 2 day clinical component.
Successful completion of this course PLUS successful completion of a high fidelity human simulation (Sim-Man) Airway Management course are required in order to receive a permit from the Alberta Dental Association + College in two drug parenteral sedation with Fentanyl. Course participants must currently hold single drug IV sedation certification; it is for the experienced provider only.
PLEASE NOTE that you will be required to bring two appropriately trained RDA’s (with valid CPR certification) for the clinical dates.
Registration is due at least 1.5 months prior to the upcoming online lecture dates in order to allow for sufficient pre-study time via our eClass platform
October 21 - registration deadline for pre-study initiation required 1.5 months prior to date
April 2022 (Date TBA) - registration deadline for pre-study initiation required 1.5 months prior to date
At the conclusion of this program the course participant shall be able to:
• discuss acceptable patients for moderate sedation in a dental office
• describe the qualities to evaluate when determining that a patient is sedated to the appropriate level
• describe how to identify that a patient is over sedated and describe rescue strategies
• discuss the differences between various parenteral available benzodiazepines, along with the advantages and disadvantages of each
• discuss the differences between various parenteral available opioids, along with the advantages and disadvantages of each as well as the advantages and disadvantages of opioids in general
• discuss various adjunctive agents that may be used in IV moderate sedation
• differentiate respiratory depression from respiratory obstruction and list the causes and treatments for each
- ADA+C recognized Single Drug IV Conscious Sedation Certification
- Current Heart & Stroke Foundation BLS CPR certificate (valid for 1 year from the date of issue, MUST REMAIN VALID THROUGH CLINICAL SESSION)
- Current valid Heart and Stroke Foundation ACLS Certification
- Current Emergency Airway Management Certification
- A Letter of Good Standing from ADA+C / current dental regulatory authority.
Please note that you will also be required to bring two Sedation Assistant Certified Assistants with you during the clinical component of this course. Please find attached the form to provide us with the information required. We would also require a copy of their Sedation Assistants Certification at our end.
Equipment Requirement for Clinic: During the clinical session participants will be required to bring with them their own Precordial Stethoscope, which is now a requirement for IV Conscious Sedation procedures per ADA&C regulations (supplier information can be provided if required), as well as a paired small Bluetooth speaker for monitoring the audio. No other equipment or supplies are required to be brought with you at this time, however should this change due to new regulations or restrictions, participants will be notified immediately.