This Local Anaesthesia Continuing Education course has been approved by the Alberta College of Dental Hygienists (ACDH).
It is a self-study, interactive, and hands-on course, that will teach participants to safely and effectively administer local anaesthetic agents. This course is based on the textbook, Handbook of Local Anaesthesia, 7th Ed., by Dr. Stanley F. Malamed and will review head and neck anatomy related to the administration of local anaesthetics, demonstrate the various techniques involved in local anaesthesia and explain patient evaluation, complications, and office emergencies. Successful completion of the course will enable the ACDH to issue a certificate recognizing that you have completed the course.
***The ACDH certificate is required before you may administer local anaesthesia.***
The CDE - Local Anaesthetic for Registered Dental Hygienists Course is comprised of two components: A three months, guided, home-study Theory Module, and a three days hands-on Clinical Module.
Participants must successfully complete the Theory component and the written Theory Examination at least 3 weeks prior to register and attend the in-person Clinical component.
The LA Clinic Module runs Friday, Saturday: (8 AM - 5 PM), and Sunday (8 AM - 2PM) *end times may vary, please plan accordingly.
Communication will be sent to registered participants 4 weeks before the clinic day. Which will include course information, the course schedule, and a list of things to bring to the course. Information regarding proper clinic attire will communicate with participants via email as well. There is an expectation that this material will be reviewed prior to attending the course. All Instruments will be supplied for you.
The clinical course will contain some review lectures but will not be sufficient on its own to prepare participants for the clinical course, please continue to review eclass material till clinic day.
To meet the potential need from the dental hygiene profession, yet recognize the need for appropriate class sizes, participants will be able to register for the LA Clinic Module three times during the year; February, June, and November.
*Positions are limited and will be available on a first-come, first-served to those who have passed the LA theory exam. If you register for clinical prior to passing your theory exam, please note that you may be bumped to the next available cohort.
- Participants must be certified R.D.H. and hold a current Registration Practice Permit.
- Candidates must also hold a current CPR certificate (validity is 12 months from the date of issue).
- Participants are required to practice in Dental office as a RDH for a minimum of 6 months before taking the clinical module.
- Participants must successfully complete the Written Theory Examination within 8 months of the Clinic date.
Please read carefully:
- REGISTRATION CONFIRMS YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE COURSE. Following registration, withdrawal from the course within the first week following the published course registration deadline date is eligible for a refund of the tuition fee less a $200 non-refundable deposit.
- Withdrawal more than 1 week after the published course registration deadline date is not eligible for refund, unless the withdrawal is due to medical conditions (must be requested in writing accompanied by a letter from the participant’s physician.)
- Transfer is permitted within the first week following the published course registration deadline. A transfer, one time only, to a future course will be allowed if there is sufficient space available in the next course intake. There is no guarantee space will be available. Transfer cannot be made to a course intake further in the future than the very next calendar intake for the course. Transfer requests must be in writing (email) to Continuing Dental Education, must include a $200 transfer fee, and are subject to any increase in tuition fees. Should the participant then be unable to attend that future session, they would forfeit the entire fee amount.
- ***If you have any contraindications to receiving local anesthetic, you must arrange to bring your own proxy patient to receive injections on your behalf. (For the purposes of this clinic, pregnancy in all trimesters is a contraindication).
- This course fee is subject to tuition increases to reflect operational costs.