The International Faculty Development Program (IFDP) is an intensive 2 week academic medical program for international medical faculty offered by the Office of International Programs, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, at the University of Alberta.
The IFDP will be held in-person in Edmonton, Alberta on the U of A's North Campus. It offers lectures, practicum and tours by faculty experts from the world-renowned University of Alberta. Many of these faculty have received national and international teaching awards. The program showcases our medical school curriculum and focuses on how we train our faculty to:
- teach clinical skills
- design and facilitate problem-based learning
- deliver engaging lectures
- provide quality feedback and assessment
The overarching goal of this program is to train faculty to be better teachers by:
- providing and sharing teaching resources
- discussing methods of teaching, learning, and assessment
- modelling good teaching practices, including reflective practice, self assessment, and peer evaluation.
- identifying trends in medical education
- providing an overview of the Canadian Medical Education system and associated processes
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- describe teaching strategies used by the medical school at the University of Alberta and reflect on how it applies to your teaching assignments.
- describe methods that you can use to provide constructive feedback and reflect on how it applies to your interaction with your learners.
- describe methods of teaching evaluation and reflect on how this applies to your teaching.
This program will be of special interest to those who teach medical students as they will gain valuable skills for classroom and clinical teaching. The program also helps build connections within and between institutions and creates enthusiasm for teaching and faculty development.
Fees include course materials, shared room with kitchenette, breakfasts and lunches for all working days and a welcome dinner. Marketplace accepts the following credit cards: Union Pay, Amex, Mastercard, Visa and Diners.