THE DEADLINE TO REGISTER IS 30 DAYS PRIOR TO THE START OF EACH COHORT
About this Course
The Dental Hygiene Clinical Competence Assessment program is a summative assessment which is carried out at the University of Alberta Oral Health Clinic.
The program involves continuous evaluation of pre-clinical and clinical procedures using Criteria for Evaluation rubrics determining standard met or standard not met. The structure of continuous evaluation is designed to determine participant competence in the practice of dental hygiene, as well as identify areas where additional training or assessment may be required.
What to Expect
Participants will spend the first portion of the program completing pre-clinical instrumentation assessment. They will move on to demonstration of pre-clinical radiographic technique and interpretation as well as completion of a case study. This will be followed by clinical delivery of dental hygiene care in partners clinic format. The final day of the program will consist of the clinical component, providing dental hygiene therapy for a client.
Upon completion of the Clinical Competence Assessment, participants are expected to be able to:
- Demonstrate reflective, judicial and ethical professional practice,
- Integrate collaboration and communication with clients, colleagues and other health care providers as a member of a socially responsible, client-centered health care team,
- Show an evidence-based approach to the dental hygiene process of care, namely assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation, and demonstrate proficiency within a clinical care context
Results of evaluations are sent to the CRDHA (or applicable Provincial Regulatory body) for consideration of eligibility for registration for practice. The Course Coordinator in consultation with clinical instructors may make recommendations for further assessment, education or practice prior to registration.
Note: Completion of this program does not guarantee that participants will demonstrate the necessary competencies for Entry to Practice as determined by the College of Registered Dental Hygienists of Alberta (or applicable Provincial Regulatory body).
Pre-Course Requirements & Eligibility to be Determined by the CRDHA
- Proof of Dental Hygiene Program graduation: either a transcript, diploma or degree certificate
- Proof of Current CPR within last 12 months
- Successful completion of the NDHCB examination within the last 36 months.
For more information, reach out to email@example.com.